Why Silver Birch?
The silver birch tree can be used to improve soil quality for other plants to grow. Its deep roots bring otherwise inaccessible nutrients into the tree. The silver birch provides food and habitat for more than 300 species.
A reflection of our ethos and the motivation for starting a social letting agency
We believe we are the first social letting agency (SLA) in the Eastern Region (based in Colchester, working across Essex and East London). Decent, affordable housing is fundamental to health and wellbeing.
To this end the primary objectives of our Social Lettings Agency are:
- To provide decent, affordable accommodation for people on a low income;
- To enable tenants to become more skilled at budgeting and problem solving.
- To provide opportunities and support to tenants to develop skills and gain experience that lead to paid work or meaningful activity;
- To work with other social enterprises and community groups to the benefit of the community, helping the local privately rented sector play a more positive, effective and strategic role.
- To provide a high quality, competitively priced tenancy management service to landlords;
- To grow a portfolio of properties to enable continuity as tenants’ circumstances change.
How does this help landlords?
- We build good relationships with tenants, through regular visits (at least monthly for the first six months). This means we arequick to find out when there are problems with the property or rent and we can offer tenants support them put it right. This protects the property and reduces the risk of rent arrears.
- We manage the property to the same high standard we would manage our own;
- No hidden surpises with management charges;
- Our up to date knowledge on landlord/tenant law means you can rely on the advice we give;